The “Halloween City of the World,” Anoka, Minnesota, didn’t hold back anything for the first-day ceremony for the new United States Jack O’Lanterns forever stamps issued September 29.
Approximately 1,500 people attended the ceremony in the downtown area at the city hall. Highlights included hundreds of school children dressed in different costumes, decorated jack o’lanterns, and a huge banner of the stamps that was rolled off the side of the city hall building.
Here’s a selection of photos by APS editor Jay Bigalke from the Anoka ceremony:
The show features:
• 37 dealers
• several dozen frames of exhibits
• show cachets featuring Indiana’s bicentennial celebration
• U.S. Postal Service museum
• an Indiana Bicentennial Postal Exhibit
• U.S. Postal Service will be selling current postal items